Two Game-changing announcements made my Google
Following the Covid-19 pandemic, Google searches containing “Curb-side Pickup” and “In Stock” have increased by more than 70% in the last few months. After having launched a set of new attributes on Google My Business, Google recently announced a change that will revolutionise the small world of local SEO.
In a press release from June 17, 2020, Google announced a stronger cooperation between Google Shopping and Google My Business. From now on, the “Shopping” tab will display useful local information to users such as products’ availability, points of sale selling them, and other services including delivery, curbside pick up or drive-in. This information will appear for every country featuring the “Shopping” tab, such as France and the US. This project is referred to as the “Local Surfaces across Google”.
To recap, what are the impacts for retailers?
As a Google My Business Top Partner, Partoo manages over 100,000 listings for more than 300 brands, such as Carrefour, Leroy Merlin or Toyota. Therefore, this announcement made by Google directly impacts our clients. It represents an opportunity for us to notify them so that they can activate this feature on Google Shopping.
As you can see below for Castorama, one of our clients, it has been a long time since Google Shopping incorporated a local dimension through the LIA. Here, we have all the information about the Castorama store located at “3 rue Caulaincourt”, in Paris.
Beyond the free aspect of LIA, the recent announcements made by Google have an impact on the entire Google ecosystem. Retailers will be able to showcase their products through Google Shopping and to indicate to users where they can find the products near them.
Therefore, the “Local Surface across Google” program induces a diffusion of the listings’ products, whether in the standard searches, on Google Images, Google Shopping, Maps and also Google Lens, according to countries.
How to join this new Local Surfaces across Google program?
In order to take part in this program you need to follow these steps:
- Have a current and centralised GMB account.
- Create a Google Shopping account, and turn on the LIA via your merchant center by following the Google procedure described here.
- Enable the local surfaces program from the Merchant Center (refer to the following step).
In addition, to activate the Local Surfaces program and set up you store’s inventory, here are the guidelines:
- Register to the Local Surfaces program by selecting it when you enroll in the Merchant Center or on “Growth” in the navigation menu.
- Click on “Manage programs”.
- Click “get started” on the local inventory ads program card.
- Add the information about your company
- Link your Google My Business account and select your locations
- Import your logo
- Create, save and submit feeds
- Request an inventory verification
If you have any doubts about this topic, do not hesitate to contact us.
Get found … online!